arrow drop search cross

Village de Saint-Christophe-et-le-Laris

Village de Saint-Christophe-et-le-Laris

Address

Mairie

SAINT-CHRISTOPHE

Contact

Languages spoken

  • French

Description

La statue de saint Christophe, patron des voyageurs, surmonte l'église du même nom.

Number of inhabitants: 381
Area: 1,135 ha.

This district located in the middle of a hilly region boasts farming based on livestock and cereal crops. It is a meeting point for those who love hiking, horse trekking and trout fishing (in the River Limone).

The village, traces of which date back to 1097, has changed its name many times over the centuries: Saint-Christophe-d'Enos, Saint-Christophe-du-Bois, Saint-Christophe-de-Bosco and Saint-Christophe-de-Nemors.

Under the Ancien Régime, this community only comprised Saint-Christophe-du-Bois. During the Revolution, the communities of Saint-Christophe and Le Laris each became a municipality. In 1791 they were joined together to form the new district of Saint-Christophe-et-le-Laris.

In Le Laris there used to be a commander's residence of the order of knights of St. John of Jerusalem, coming under that of Saint-Paul-lès-Romans, which was destroyed during the Wars of Religion.

In 1640, the hamlet of Le Laris only had two or three inhabitants and was "notoriously known as the poorest in the entire province".

"Look at St. Christopher, then depart reassured". That is the motto recorded in the village church, under the statue of St. Christopher, patron saint of travellers. Since the 1920s, many drivers have come to acquire the protection of the saint during a ceremony to bless travellers and vehicles. The tradition continues on the last Sunday in July.

Antoine-Philippe Mathieu, known as Mathieu of Drôme, was born at Les Bossards, Saint-Christophe-et-le-Laris, on 7th June 1805. This scientist and creator of many inventions was elected a deputy to the Constituent Assembly following the creation of the 2nd Republic in 1848. Arrested and expelled from France in 1851 following the coup d'état of Napoleon III, he returned to the country and died in Romans in 1865.

Sights to see:

Le Charaix Church: Built in the 11th century, it is now in ruins

Tips

Bénédiction des voitures le dernier dimanche de juillet

See also

no pic

Eglise Saint-Pierre-du-Charaix

Cultural heritage

Saint-Christophe