Miribel est située au nord de la Drôme des Collines. Elle tire son nom du bas-latin "Miribellum" qui signifie "belle vue".
Number of inhabitants: 245
Area: 655 ha.
Situated in the north of Drôme des Collines, 20 km from Romans, the village of Miribel takes its name from the low Latin "Miribellum", meaning "beautiful view".
The first mention of this remote fiefdom of Clérieu dates back to 1080, the year in which Lord Gontard gave the church, some land and a third of Miribel's tithes to the Romans Chapter.
In 1323, Miribel was handed over to the Poitiers in compensation by the Clérieus. Diane of Poitiers sold the Miribel land to Hierosme of Monteux, a royal doctor who attended Catherine of Medici during her many pregnancies. In 1581, Clauda, the granddaughter of Hierosme of Monteux, married the Catholic Captain Guigues-Antoine de Rostaing to whom she gave Miribel. Once the family had died out, Miribel returned to the Beaumonts until the Revolution.
Due to the presence of the "Tower" and a few remains of 15th and 16th century housing, we can place the original core of Miribel as the "Carrière" ["Quarry"], a district referred to as early as the 11th century and that had no doubt been in existence for a long time. The "Tower", the only remains of the old stately château of Miribel, is believed to date from the 13th century. The old Notre-Dame-de-Pitié Chapel, mentioned in a 14th century will, retains two small equilateral windows and paintings with the Beaumont coat of arms.
Sights to see:
Saint-Sever Church: A property that belonged to the diocese of Vienne in the Middle Ages, it was attached to the Saint-Barnard Chapter in 1160. Built in the 12th century, it is the very epitome of a rural church. The church tower and façade are Romanesque in style, while the chevet and chancel are Gothic. The church was renovated in the 19th century and decorated according to the traditions of the period: centre lights in gilded metal with plant motifs and turquoise blue molten glass and gilded metal or bronze candelabras. Listed as a Historic Monument since 1952, it forms part of the "Sacred Paths" tourist itinerary.