Old Bridge

Old Bridge

Address

Quai Dauphin

ROMANS-SUR-ISÈRE

Contact

Languages spoken

  • French

Description

The first mention of this Bridge in the Archives dates from 1033.

The Bridge allows the Canons of Saint-Barnard to establish "tolls" on people, animals and goods which become an important source of income.

A Fortified Gate defending the bridge was built in 1393 ... and demolished at the start of the 19th century.
This fortified door appears on the coat of arms of the city.
Many times swept away by the floods and then rebuilt over the centuries, the Old Bridge will be caught in the storm of the Second World War and partly destroyed, first in June 1940 then again in August 1944!

Location