The tour Jacquemart

The tour Jacquemart

Address

Place Charles de Gaulle

ROMANS-SUR-ISÈRE

Contact

Languages spoken

  • French

Description

The Tour Jacquemart stands atop an ancient gate in the original walls of the town. The tower was built in the 12th century, while the clock was installed in 1429. It owes its name to the automated bell-ringer who strikes out the hour with his hammer.

n the 15th century, the Consuls ordered a monumental clock from Pierre Cudrifin, a clockmaker from Friborg in Switzerland.
It has a large bronze bell which dates from 1545 and weighs 2,300 kilos. The automaton has been striking the hours since 1429.
This carved wooden and zinc automaton is dressed in the "jackets" of the peasants, hence the nickname by Jacquemart.
This character becomes the spokesperson for republican ideas.
It measures 2.60m in height.

Location

See also

no pic

Collegiate church of Saint Barnard

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

Old Bridge

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

Hôtel Thomé

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

La Rue des Trois-Carreaux

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

The Place aux Herbes

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

Rue St Nicolas

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

La Maison du Mouton

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

Place Maurice Faure

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère
no pic

La Rue de l'Armillerie

Cultural heritage

Romans-sur-Isère